Thursday 15 September 2011

Day 6, Day 4 of the Run, Swaledale, fields and a soak.

Well woke up feeling quite fresh after the previous days walking stage with Derek! It was a bit cool in the camper, but given there were a few touches of frost outside it wasn't surprising! However at least the sun was out.

Up and at 'em again, starting with a nice climb straight out of the valley.


See me waving?


Along and up out of Swaledale, hard work first thing with tight legs, but some great crystal clear views.



On, along, and a fair few downs and ups where gulleys and valleys cut into the side of the main valley. After  Swinner Gill I had this nice track to look back at.


Where I practised my big chin look!


Further along Swaledale, a tough haul out of Bunton Hush Gully, up to a wasteland, the scar of the old mine workings, but loads of grouse shooters about. It was then a bit of a crusie down a long track for a few kms, but I had no speed left in my legs to take advantage.

More skirting the valley, up and down a little before dropping into Reeth, then heading out along the vallet bottom, skirting the River, passed Marrick Priory then climbing up through the woods to Marrick. The legs were really starting to feel heavy. A few stiles to get over and numerous hay meadows, it was soon a steep road descent for lunch, my legs were not enjoying this pounding:


Starting up after some grub was painful, time for some hunched forward running style!


A few gentler ups and downs to Richmond, however by this stage I'd worked out that it hurt if I ran on the flat, up a steep incline, up a shallow incline, down steps, down steep slopes, down gentle declines, on stones, grass, mud or tarmac, basically it just hurt! So with a bit of manning up and talking to myself I dragged myself out of the hilly castle town. I kept aiming for little goals, talking to rabbits, cows, farm dogs, cows and ponies to keep me going! The last bit was flat and slow to Ellerton Lake where I managed a nice cold soak.


And a nice protein recovery snack, aka a bacon sarnie, the chef is performing well!


Dave 1 popped by with another old colleague as they were doing some open water swim training in the lake, so a chat about tomorrow's route, painful legs and Dave's 120 mile ride home filled the evning nicely before more Spag Bol! About 48km down today. Tomorrow is looking like a big one with tired legs....

No comments:

Post a Comment