Sunday 18 September 2011

Day 8, the last day of the run!

I woke up with really stiff and painful lower legs. I had a nice swelling at the bottom of my left shin, and a swollen achilles area on my right ankle. So standing, walking and moving about proved tricky, it didn't seem to ease up with the normal morning faffing about.

I headed out in the mist, trying to run 50 steps at once through the pain before walking again, then upping it to 100 paces before walking again then extending it again until I was running/hobbling again.



This time it took a lot longer for the pain to drop from excruciating to just painful, probably about an hour. Running along the road in the mist was hard work, encloded in my own little world, no music on as I had to listen out for cars approaching through the murk.

By the time I got off the road and round the top of Fryup Dale I had my music on, the clouds were lifting and I was feeling a bit better.


But the going was still tough! I dropped down into Glaisdale, one of the steepest villages in the world! And lots of downhill shuffling. It was then a nice route through the woods to Egton Bridge, then down an estate lane to Grosmont where there seemed to be 101 trainspotters at the level crossing.

There was a steep climb out of Grosmont up the road, where I checked up on some of the encouraging text messages pushing me through the last day. I came into the lunch stop a little shorter than planned as dad had been struggling to find somewhere suitable for the bus.


A last lunch in the bus so I took it leisurely, a few phone calls to organise the finish!

it was then off across Sleights Moor, down to Littlebeck, up and over through Hawsker and to the coast, it was great to seee the sea again, the finish was near!



The run along the sea tops was a nice chilled out finish, getting ready for the end, although there were still some climbs, the Yorkshire coast is far from flat. Finally I neared Robin Hood's Bay:


A little sunnier this time:


I managed to pick up some pace going down the hill, all the pain started to disappear! Dad, Liz, Dave 1 and the Kitchings were already down there enjoying the beach.


And caught me coming down the slipway



I then ran into the sea, that didn't seem to get deep so I lay down backwards flat out, a refreshing finish in the sea and sun!

I even ran back out.



It was then time for the celebratory champagne and pictures, with Dad, top chef/driver/team manager, he kept me going all week long:


The rest of the welcoming party, Liz, the Kitchings and Dave 1.


It was then time to scare the locals and remove the nipple tape!


And what better than fish, chips and mushy peas to follow!


Then some beers at the finisher's pub.




Cheers!


Walking back up thr hill from Robin Hood's Bay after another 45kms was a challenge! Back to Kirkby Malzeard for a couple more beers and curry then bed!

Thanks for all the text messages, sponsorship, training and support from everyone, it was much appreciated, and if you still want to sponsor or give even more feel free! :


All I can now say is that walking today has proved very tricky!

No comments:

Post a Comment